Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Deer Calisthenics

This blog post is brought to you by our local wildlife. They are quite entertaining sometimes. As I was returning from my morning walk this past summer, I caught these guys nibbling on our neighbor's crab apple tree. Unfortunately I couldn't get as close as I'd like since that would scare them off.  The reason I hesitated to do so can be found in the last photo.  If you take a good look at it, you will see a deer in the left hand corner standing on its hind legs to reach the tasty treats. (Well, tasty and crab apples may not really go together, but the deer seem to love them.)  I have seen the deer perform this trick before, but I have never been fortunate enough to capture it with my camera.  While, I do wish I had been closer, I weighed my options and decided I'd rather have the distance shot than nothing at all.  After capturing the deer doing calisthenics to reach its meal, I decided to continue to head home.  To do so, I had to take a path that goes right by these particular trees.  Sure enough they made a run for it, and I was happy to know I'd made the correct decision. 




3 comments:

She Who Carries Camera said...

I'm glad you mentioned what that one was doing in the last shot because it looks like it's hanging! How funny! Great captures and quite clear even though you say it was at a distance!

KB said...

Wow, what a treat to get so close to deer to take pics.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Sorry guys to be so slow to respond. I commented back a couple of days ago and apparently those comments went into thin air. Sigh.

Jill- Thank you for the wonderful comment. Glad I saved you some worry. I never quite get used to the deer standing on their hind legs. I've seen it a couple of times. It just looks hilarious.

KB - Thank you for the kind comment. It is cool to live so close to deer and be able to get within photo range. I do try not to get too close as they are easily spooked. Also those hooves can pack quite a punch. I would love to get the money saved up for that new zoom lens. That way I can have really close up shots and still be far away.