Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Most Awesome Hike Ever!

To begin with, once again, I managed to struggle up the steep side of The M Trail. Any day I pull that off is awesome. The icing on the cake though was coming down the easy side. A, it flew by since the incline, or decline I suppose, is less instense. B, we were hiking with cubscouts, and they managed to find a snake. How exciting was that? Pretty newsworthy. By the time I was done with the impromptu photo session, we had attracted a few more people who wanted to take a look. Poor thing couldn't get back under the leaf litter quick enough. Fortunately, for us, the snake is not poisonous. In fact it's a member of the boa constrictor family: the rubber boa. Also fortunate for the boys and me, our new found friend is not large enough to squeeze us into a meal.




2 comments:

arabesque said...

first impression, it looks creepy, but upon reading that it seems to be harmless and not poisonous, made me appreciate it better,
look at its skin though, it's so shiny and yes, rubbery in a sense. ^0^

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the insightful comment. I'm not too bothered by snakes as long as I know they're not poisonous or big enough to suck the life out of me. My husband doesn't like them and the other parent with us didn't want her kids to touch it. Can't blame her. Can't be too safe. One of the boys wanted to know if there was something we could use to bring it home in. I told him its best to leave animals in nature. I understand wanting to bring it home for a pet, but one never knows what the population of a species may be, and I'd hate to contribute to lowering a species' population in the wild. I figured it probably wasn't harmful. He / she seemed a bit daunted by our presence and was doing his / her best to get back under the leaf litter and hide.