Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Beauty of a Rainy Day

Drinking Horse Trail is one of my favorite spots to go hiking. I had decided to take one last hike up the trail as fall began to set in. I'm a wuss when it comes to winter hiking. One small problem though, the weather decided that was a good day to rain. Hum, not exactly the crisp fall day I was hoping for. Fortunately, I didn't let that deter me and dug my umbrella out from under the front seat. I have never seen so many opportunities to photograph water droplets before. (Perhaps I need to get out in the rain more often.) While I quite enjoyed the bejeweled beauty of nature, that wasn't the best part. Toward the end of my trek, I found a little treasure taking shelter from the rain under a thistle blossom. Turned out to be a gorgeous day after all.









View Larger Map

6 comments:

laurak@forestwalkart said...

it's nice to get outside after a rain...and capture the rain drops suspended on leaves...flower petals...

beautiful shots!!!

ellen abbott said...

some really beautiful photos here.

Barbara said...

Oh, wow, you got some great droplet shots! I'm always afraid of getting my camera wet, but I think I'll brave it next time!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comments everyone.

Laura - I actually braved the rain for these shots. It's very difficult to hold the umbrella with your chin while you steady the camera with both hands. I managed to get it down, though.

Ellen - I need to remember that some of the best shots can be taken during rain. I'm usually inside on those days. Especially when they come in the fall since that can be cold and rainy. Not fun.

Barabara - I should be more careful with my camera. I did have the umbrella on me during this shoot. I'm sure I made a site holding it with my chin / shoulder while taking those shots. Wasn't easy, but it did keep the camera dry. I think mine is sealed so it can take a bit of water, but I couldn't submerge it. Today was frustrating. I took it out in the snow and pointed it up. Yeah, I have some water droplets on my lens to clean off. Also, it fogged up on me a couple of times. While those can be cool stylistically (word?), I'd much rather get a clear shot of my subject.

Linda said...

Great macro shots. That wee sheltering ladybird is lovely!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comment Linda. I was stoked when I found the ladybird. It never occurred to me what insects do during the rain. I guess they would have to take shelter somewhere.