Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

What I Find Disturbing

As weird as this may seem, I find it disturbing that a spittle bug can be infected with a mite. Spittle bugs are about 1/4" long if that. Probably about 1/8" wide. They're not very big. How in the world can a mite latch onto that. I can't even figure out if there's a benefit for the mite. Although, as you can see, there is quite the difference in size, so perhaps there is some nutritional value there. The other thing I find disturbing is the two photographs below are taken from different sides of the hopper. If I had noticed the mite, when I took the photograph, I would've checked. However, unless the one mite moved while I was taking pictures, this hopper is actually infested with two mites. Ewwww!

I find the whole thing disturbing because I believe it proves my theory that the world is shrinking. We don't have to worry about cockroaches inheriting the earth, they'll be gone, too. It'll be mites, viruses, bacteria, fungi and algae.


6 comments:

Hilary said...

That is mite-y fine photography despite its disturbing nature.

ellen abbott said...

Great pics. The world is larger and smaller than we can ever imagine.

Anyes said...

Is it just me or is someone else feeling itchy? ;-)

Great photography Vickie :-)

VM Sehy Photography said...

Hilary - Thank you for the cute pun. Put a smile on my face.

Ellen - Thank you for the lovely comment. I agree. The world seems much larger and smaller than we could ever imagine.

Anyes - Thank you for the wonderful comment. Never thought about it, but I suppose the spring hopper is feeling itchy. I'm just hoping he doesn't get sucked dry.

Thank you everyone for your comments. They are greatly appreciated. In this case, they keep me grounded. I think sometimes I get too caught up in the little things and see a future that may not happen. With all this micro photography, it's easy for me to get carried away and start worrying about the world shrinking.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

i guess as far as spittle bugs are concerned...mites are just part of life!

it's a disturbing thought that the world will just end up being infected with bacteria, mites, fungi, viruses...
i don't think so...

very cool close-ups!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - thanks for the great comment. I definitely need your perspective on this issue. I tend to get carried away with my theory. I think I spend too much time in the miniature world:)