Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

A Christmas Hike

The weather around here has been unusually warm which is great if you like to go hiking, but you don't want to be pelted with sleet in temperatures below zero. Keeping that in mind we decided to take advantage of the beautiful Christmas day and do exactly that - go hiking.

So off we went to The M which is a favorite spot. The guys headed up the steep trail. Having lost one of my x-tracks, I took the less treacherous route. At first, I was a bit out of sorts to be seperated from my men, but I was quickly distracted by the beautiful fauna poking its head up above the snow.

Soon, I had other diversions as well. A Japanese couple stopped to say hi and ask me if I knew what type of animals were in the area. I said I'm not sure about this season. Then they proceeded to describe the animal and in the middle of that started pointing and said there it is. Well, I couldn't see it until it ran up the trail. And run it did. That is the closest I have ever been to a ferret that isn't a pet. Unfortunately, neither one of us was fast enough to get a shot of the animal. Can't complain though. That adventure was just what I needed to lift me out of my duldrums.

Later as I was heading down the trail, I missed getting a shot of a small red squirrel who couldn't have been more than six inches from me. Again, too slow. However, I realized I need to spend more time at the M in the winter. Next time I'll be ready not just for the plants that sit still, but the animals that are lightening quick.




5 comments:

Seasonal Activities said...

Excellent pictures!!! Really you have a great photography.

Hilary said...

Very cool about the ferret. This is the information I found about them in your area. http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/tande/ferret.html

Your photography is absolutely beautiful.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Seasonal Activities - thank you for the kind comment. I love small details so I feel right at home taking these macro shots.

Hilary - Thank you for the kind comment and the link. It was totally cool to see the ferret. I can hardly wait to save up enough money to get a new telephoto lens. Some things are just meant to be memories I suppose.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks for the link again Hilary. I just got a chance to read it. Led me to wonder if I had misidentified what I'd seen. I understand it's easy to confuse a marten and a ferret. So I did a little bit more in depth research and was finally able to find the mystery animal.

It was an ermine. I forgot about them. I looked up the photo and sure enough lots of doubles of what I saw yesterday. Well, I can definitely say I've never ever been near an ermine wild or otherwise. They're really cute, though.

Hilary said...

Glad the link helped, VM. Thanks for letting me know. :)