Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Playing Hookie - Sort Of

Technically I was in the clear. A week ago, I had just recovered from a really awful cold that tried to turn into a sinus infection. I called in on that Monday to say I was taking one more day off to make sure I was actually well. The school I work for actually encourages this.

I count it as playing hookie since I did not actually stay at home and rest. Probably a technicality at best. We'd just come off of a very beautiful Fall weekend, and I had been cooped up for the whole thing. I missed Raptor Fest for the first time since we moved here five years ago. I couldn't stand the thought of spending another gorgeous fall day inside. So I drove to Yellowstone. I figured if I went to Mammoth Hot Springs maybe the sulfur air would clear out my sinuses and lungs. Worked like a charm, and I've been on the mend since.

Of course, with views like the ones below, how could I not have felt better?

Canary Springs - Main Terrace - Mammoth Hot Springs

Main Terrace - Mammoth Hot Springs


Main Terrace - Mammoth Hot Springs


Main Terrace - Mammoth Hot Springs

8 comments:

Kids Resources said...

Lovely pictures and awesome photography.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

gorgeous!! no wonder it worked.

((i went to yellowstone ONCE...when i drove cross country from NY to CA when i was...oh...19. it was snowing in august and my friend and i found this secluded spot...in the hot springs where there were other people skinny dipping...we went too. i doubt very much you could do THAT nowadays, huh??))

i didn't know you were THAT close...now i'm so jealous! i can't wait to retire & head north and west...

Joanna Jenkins said...

Wow! Your pictures are glorious! Yellowstone is one of the few places in this country that I haven't been. Now I'm thinking I better get a move on it. It's absolutely beautiful.

Hope the fresh/sulfur air helped and you're feeling 100% again.

xo jj

Barbara said...

Thank you so much for sharing these! Yellowstone is one of my favorite places, but since I live in Texas, I don't get there very often and never in the autumn or winter. Beautiful shots! I'm glad it helped your sinuses, too!!

May said...

Having a cold and sinus makes you feel awful!! It's nice to know that your work place encourages you to get better and then return.
Fall in your part of the world looks very beautifuL!!!

Anyes said...

Yellowstone has always been a place I would love to go and visit and now I want it even more :-)

VM Sehy Photography said...

Joanna and Anyes - I definitely recommend visiting. Photographs don't do the place justice. Plus which every time I go down, I see a different type of animal. It's been bison and antelope so far. It's amazing how close they come to the cars, too.

May - I work at a pretty awesome place. I doubt they'd care if I did go down although I didn't tell anyone I did. Problem is, since I work with kids, that's where I end up getting the colds. It's a catch 22.

Barbara - Yellowstone is gorgeous all year round. I'm really lucky to live so close.

Laura - You can't even walk off the paths. They have warning signs all over. Too many people have been stepping into the wrong springs and dying of burns. Usually, they're trying to rescue their dog or running around in the dark. It's kind of sad. I don't know if I would go skinny dipping if I could. I'm a bit shy about being in the buff.

Kids Resources - Thank you for stopping by and for the lovely comment. It's hard to take a bad photograph of such gorgeous scenery.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

just a quick comment back about the 'skinny dipping'...HA! i was talking about over 30 years ago...when i was like 20 !! i wouldn't do it nowadays...well, maybe if everyone was over 80 i would consider it. but even back then...i was very embarrassed...very modest...but i did it! a once in a lifetime opportunity...skinny dip in one of yellowstone's natural HOT TUBS!! :)