Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Exploring With a Camera: Found Texture - Yellowstone Style

The topic for Exploring With a Camera is found textures. Despite the fact that textures are one of my favorite things to photograph, this topic actually gave me pause, and I had to sit and think what I might have in my archives that I could use for a submission.

I came across this image of one of the pools in Mammoth Hot Springs.  I decided that this was the best submission.  For one thing, there are many different textures respresented in the photograph.  Although, I suppose you could sum it up with the word - rough.  Sand paper or course rock.  The spiky plants also lend themselves to this imagery.  Also, I find the abstract quality of this photo extremely interesting. The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was, cool, I have a photo of an alien landscape.  Then I thought, hum, this could have easily have been a piece of the ocean.    This composition is a microcosm of a much larger world, a world full of all kinds of found textures.


Stop by The Kat Eye View of the World to see all kinds of texture and maybe even join in the challenge yourself!

10 comments:

laurak@forestwalkart said...

((i love textures too...i'm pretty sure i did a post on the various textures in my yard...a while back...))

this photo of the texture you have chosen is AWESOME!! almost looks as though we're peeking at something under a microscope!

ellen abbott said...

Beautiful shot!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - That's what I like about this photograph. I couldn't quite get that said in the post though. I think this is a photo that everyone can see something different in it. That's why it works so well.

Ellen - Thank you for the lovely comment. I had a good subject. One of these days I'm going to figure out some of the more obscure parts of Yellowstone really go exploring. I have yet to visit any of the geysers, so that would be a good start.

Gilly said...

Love this shot; terrific textures and like a world within a world, as you say.

Kat Sloma said...

Wow, so many great textures in that image! I like the idea of an alien landscape. :) I love how we can frame something in our world with our camera and make it "something else." Thanks so much for sharing your texture in Exploring with a Camera!

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

Great image, got to love Yellowstone. My husband and I went there back in May and I fell in love with the place.

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Oooooooh ~ Wonderful shot ~~ namaste, Carol ^_^ (A Creative Harbor) linked w/Exploring w/Cam

EVA said...

Fabulous and fascinating shot!

Becs said...

Fantastic shot, love the variety of texture contained within the one image.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Gilly - Thank you for the wonderful comment. This image definitely lends itself to imagination.

Kat - Thank you for the lovely comment. It is interesting when you can take an everyday object or landscape and bring it out of itself. Like you can turn that image into something else entirely.

Kathryn - Thank you for the kind comment. Yellowstone is awesome. I could go there once a week for twenty years and never explore all of it. I can hardly wait to get back. Possibly this winter or maybe early next spring.

ArtMuseDog and Carol - Thank you for the kind comment and for stopping by. This is definitely one of my favorite images ever.

Eva - Thank you for the kind comment. I'm hoping to get back to Yellowstone soon and see what else I can find and capture.

Becs - Thank you for the kind comment. I think the variety of textures is what caught my eye. I couldn't resist trying to capture that with my camera. From the comments, I've received it would appear I succeeded.