Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Adventures of a Lifetime

Some moments are so magical, maybe even mystical, that they remain fresh in memory as if the event happened merely yesterday.  One such experience took place many years ago, during a brief time when we had lived in Montana before.

We had a  favorite place to hike out in the countryside.  A little spot that was fenced off, but if you knew how to get there and where to park, you could gain access to forest land along this little path that wound through private land.

On many occasions we had gone out there, but we never made it very far much less to the fabled forest off into the distance.  When one is packing a small child, one tends not to outstay the child's ability to remain in a good mood.  So here we are on what we assume to be familiar land.  Listening once again to the moose bugling in the background.  Wondering if they are close to the edge of the forest or maybe deeper in.  Photographing the clouds.  The mountains.  The beautiful scenery in general.  Looking along the ground for a late blooming insect or perhaps some interesitng seed worthy of the camera's attention. 

When out of nowhere, like air materialized into form, came walking two horses.  OK.  We had no idea that this land we were on supported horses.  To this day, we don't know where they came from.  They just walked on up easy as you please and proceeded to check out my husband and my son.  Before I could even take the whole scene in, my guys were surrounded by six to eight horses.  A whole herd.

Now, I'm not one who feels at ease around horses, especially not a whole herd who now has their backs to me.  I'm trying to keep the dog from spooking them.  I'm trying not to get kicked.  And I'm hoping they don't spook and rear on my loved ones.  Needless worry I must add.  While I don't think they were happy with me being unseen, so to speak, they tolerated my presence and allowed me to wander around until I was facing them. 

Fortunately for me, since I was then able to capture these photos should the memories ever fade.  I doubt they ever will, though.  I can't see forgetting one of the coolest experiences of my life.

To see the second story in this series, head over here.  From there, you can catch a link to the first story.






11 comments:

Miriam said...

Great blog wuth so many beautiful photos! The Mammoth Hot Springs-section was wonderful :)

KB said...

The horses are so beautiful.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Miriam - Thank you for the lovely comment. I am always taking pictures of something. The outdoors is one big beautiful playground for me.

KB - Thank you for the wonderful comment. Those horses were really beautiful. I tried to find that spot again, but I haven't had any luck. Oh, well, it'll be a special memory for a long time.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

nice story...and beautiful horses! at least you not only have the images stored in your mind...you can refresh the memory with your photos!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - Thank you for the wonderful comment. This was definitely one of those moments that I will never forget.

Barbara said...

What a glorious experience! I'm so glad you had your camera with you!!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the lovely comment Barbara. It truly was glorious. Just one of those moments that really stands out and sticks in your memory over a lifetime.

Monica Devine said...

I have a great love of horses and especially enjoy riding in the winter, when the land is quiet and still; beautiful pictures!

Partly Sunny said...

I didn't know they had wild horses up there, too! You know us, they walk through the front yard, so we have to be cool about it.;)

ladyfi said...

What gorgeous horses!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Monica - Thank you for the lovely comment. I only wish I could ride a horse. Every time I try, something goes wrong. Sigh.

Partly Sunny - I'm not entirely sure if these horses were wild. We sure didn't expect them to show up. Could be someone had pasture land out there. I tried to find them again, but I couldn't, so I don't think they're there anymore. I don't know if Montana has any other spots that might have wild horses.

Ladyfi - Thank you for the lovely comment. They were gorgeous, and I was very thankful they stood still and let me take their picture.