Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Skywatch Friday - East Fork Hyalite Trail

This week's Skywatch Friday comes from one of my many wanderings into Hyalite Canyon this past summer.

I had often wondered where the road led that forked off from the road that goes to Palisade Falls. I was finally able to manuver all the way up that particular passage and it brought me to the trailhead for East Fork Hyalite Trail. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is the trail that goes to Emerald and Heather Lakes. Emerald is closer at 4.5 miles. I didn't even come close. Not being in top shape it takes me awhile to hike that much less come back, so I set out to see as much as I could. It's a very nice trail. And even in summer still has snow on it. That also slowed me up a bit. I would love to have the time to make it all the way to both lakes. That might require some camping equipment at my pace. In the meantime, you can get an idea of how beautiful the area is from the photo below which was taken from the parking area.




View Larger Map

5 comments:

laura k@forestwalkart said...

(sorry...i'm so far behind in my blog reading...trying to catch up...)
this is a beautiful shot...with the jagged tree and rock line...meeting the cloud filled sky! LOVE this!!

Hilary said...

What a stunning shot. It sure looks like you found a beautiful area to wander.

Joanna Jenkins said...

How beautiful! That view was worth the hike. Thanks for sharing. xo jj

Linda said...

Wow! Stunning! Everything is reaching upwards to the sky - fingers of rocks, pine trees...

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - Thank you for the kind comment. I know about being behind. Currently way behind myself. This is a very beautiful area. I hope one day to have the time to hike all the way to one of the lakes.

Hilary - Thank you for the wonderful comment. This spot is a really awesome find. Next spring I will go back and wander some more.

Joanna - Thank you for the kind comment. It definitely is worth the hike. I'm sure the lake will be, too, once I reach it.

Linda - Thank you for the kind comment. I didn't notice that, but everything is reaching for the sky. Probably what caught my attention.