Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Predator and Prey

During the summer I ventured out to one of my favorite spots, Madison Buffalo Jump State Park. The desert environment provides plenty of opportunities to photograph many varieties of insects and spiders. Also, the critters I find out there are unique to that environment and a break from the usual batch of insects that I find closer to my house.

That particular day I lucked out in that the circle of life was in full swing. I was able to capture a robber fly and a crab spider both with prey. Some days I'm so glad I'm not an insect.


Crab Spider with Queen Ant

Bearded Robber Fly with Prey



View Larger Map

6 comments:

ellen abbott said...

That first picture is awesome.

La Principessa Errante said...

Wow that first picture is really, really incredible.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Ellen and La Principessa Errante for the kind comments.

It's always cool when you can capture certain insect behaviors.

I know the Robber Fly isn't much to look at, but I think they're kind of cool in their own way. Although I can see a certain elegance in the first shot that is lacking in the second.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Excellent macro photos.

Regards!

Andrea said...

Crab spiders are really my favourites...
They can be so colorful sometimes.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Tatjana - Thank you for the kind comment.

Andrea - Crab spiders are one of my favs, too. They're easy to identify for one. Also the way they blend in with the plant they're on is interesting. The shape is cool too.