Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel

Looks like a chipmunk, acts like a chipmunk, however, not a chipmunk. The cute little guy below is a Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrel. A rather tame one at that. Or perhaps he had poor eye sight. When I first met his acquaintance, I was coming back down the trail from Palisade Falls. He came so close to me so quickly, I was taken aback. At one point, he was about four inches from my feet. I thought, if he bites me, he's getting kicked into the next state. Luckily, it didn't come to that.

Still not entirely sure he was not infected with rabies, I began to look for signs of the disease. Foaming of the mouth being about the only one that came to mind. Of course the problem there is that is one of the last signs of the disease. He could still have rabies and look perfectly fine thus my hesitation to let him too close to me.

At some point, he stopped scampering so close to me, hesitated a moment, and came to the realization that I was there. He took off like a shot. Thus the action capture. So I'm back to he doesn't see too well or he's too focused on gathering his food. Either way, I'm glad he didn't have rabies.



2 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh, he's precious! And these are wonderful captures of him! I'm glad he didn't have rabies, too! :)

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank You for the kind comment Barbara. He was so cute. And fearless. Which is what worried me. Too bad, I might have gotten a few more close ups.