Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday's in My City - What's Under the Lid

Each Sunday Unknown Mami hosts Sundays in My City giving us all a chance to boast about where we live. Come by and check out some amazing cities. Better yet, put up a post to show off where you live.

Today's post is about a lid and what I found beneath it. It would seem that our garbage can lid has become a nursery. Yup. For spiders. While I can't swear on it, I believe these are nursery web spiders, and I think they came along with the weeds I pulled out yesterday. (If I'd have known, I'd have waited for the little ones to hatch. Oh well.)

As things stand now, I'm hoping they will be able to stay attached to the lid until the babies hatch. I can't guarantee anything, though. I don't know how close these spiderlings are to hatching, and we can't hold onto our garbage forever. I'd really like some hatchling shots though. I hestitate to retransport them back. I'm not sure they will thrive on the plants left behind. Also, I don't know if they're poisonous. Being close enough to take pictures seemed to disturb the mama spiders causing them to go into an agressive stance. Mamas are very protective of their young throughout the animal world. Spiders are no exception, and I don't care to get bitten. So for now I'm waiting and seeing. Hoping for hatchlings before this next Thursday.





I think that small dot is the male spider. 
He must not have provided a tasty enough treat.

3 comments:

Unknown Mami said...

Makes me grateful I'm not that male spider.

ellen abbott said...

Cool

VM Sehy Photography said...

Unknown Mami - Me too. If I get to choose how to be reincarnated, male spider is at the bottom of the list. Black widow males also bring along something for the female to eat in hopes of distracting her long enough so he can mate and get away with his life. Nature is rough.

Ellen - Exactly what I thought. I checked on them tonight. They're building more solid webs along the lid, so hopefully they'll survive having to take out the garbage. Of course, they may hatch in the next week.