Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sundays in My City - "The New Bridge"

Each Sunday Unknown Mami gives us the opportunity to show off the places we live. Drop by and check out all the interesting cities. Better yet, show us around the place you call home.

This week I'm taking everyone back to my hometown of Charles City, Iowa. We just got back from a vacation there, and seeing as how nothing new is happening around here, I thought this would be an excellent time to introduce you all to "The New Bridge".

I'm not a big fan. I think most of that is due to how many fond memories I have of the Swinging Bridge. Unfortunately, the original bridge was destroyed in a flood over 3 years ago. You can click on the link above to view photos of the original bridge before and after the flood.

When you step back and take an objective look at the new bridge, it makes a fine replacement. In fact, esthetically, the new bridge is nearly a twin to the old one. Problem is, it doesn't swing. Welcome to the new area of safety, and I'm sure that was probably a requirement for them to get some FEMA money. Still, I feel like all the fun has been sucked out of crossing this bridge. I used to hate that swing when I was little. The bridge always felt like it was going to do a little loop de loop. Still, now that the bouncy feeling is gone, there's no character to the bridge. There's nothing that makes it unique or special.

The generations that grow up with this new bridge won't understand it, but my generation and those that remember the old bridge will probably always miss it.





8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Maybe the NEW bridge isn't for "swingers," but I do find it very lovely and beautiful.

I too hate it when old traditions/landmarks disappear.

La Principessa Errante said...

Your photos of the bridge are lovely. Sad it doesn't swing, but you are right it is in order to get FEMA money. Hope you had a nice visit home.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I don't like change, so I understand that nostalgic feeling.
Love that last shot!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Keetha - Thank you for the humorous comment. When I look at it objectively, it is a very lovely bridge. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

La Principessa Errante - Thank you for the wonderful comment. I know they had to put in a wider entrance so handicapped people could use the bridge otherwise they would have lost the FEMA money. I surmised from that, the thought that the bridge probably couldn't swing (bounce really) anymore. I always have a great time when I go home. It's a pretty small town and I love to walk around gathering up the memories. I get to see relatives and old neighbors and my baby-sitter. Always fun to reminisce.

Dysfunctional Mom - Thank you for the kind comment. I'm not so great with change either. It's bound to happen though. I'm sure I'll get used to the new bridge.

Unknown Mami said...

I think I would have a heart attack if I went across a swinging bridge.

BLOGitse said...

The new one looks like a bridge in Sydney but mini size.
I think it's beautiful.
hm...main thing is that it's safe...

Hilary said...

It's understandable how you feel but sadly, practicality usually trumps sentiment. I love the last shot of the wet bridge reflecting what's above it.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Unknown Mami - It never really swung. It was more of a bounce. I could swear when I was little it did swing a little more from side to side, but my dad says it never did. I think because I was 6 and shorter than the railing, it felt like it was swinging instead of bouncing. I just miss the movement. The new bridge is lovely. It's also very solid.

BLOGitse - It does look like a modern bridge from larger cities. Esthetically, I find it pretty much equal to the old one. The old bridge was safe. No one ever got injured on it that I know of. It just had a bounce to it. I miss that.

Hillary - Thank you for the kind comment. The reflection shot is my favorite, too. I think this bridge will grow on me. Even if Charles City could replace the bridge with an exact duplicate, it still wouldn't be the same. I'm just neutral on the new bridge. There's nothing that can be done about that because this bridge is not the bridge that holds all my childhood memories. Just is.