Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Birthday Blessings

Yesterday I was blessed with one of the most amazing birthdays I have ever had. Due to a change in plans (The road to Fairy Lake is still covered in snow.), my son and I ended up hiking The M. Thus far, this year has been lackluster where the insects are concerned, not so yesterday. You couldn't walk an inch without finding something. The best part of it is, the air was literally buzzing with cicadas. I don't think I've ever seen one before, and now I've got tons of photos. I'll take that any day over the darn horse fly that chased me for a portion of the trail.

Not only was I blessed with such a large presence from the insect population, I was also blessed with the hike itself. When my son was younger, I would load him up in the wagon and go exploring this park we lived next to. We'd spend hours walking around just seeing what there was to see, and then we'd have lunch. Those are some of my fondest memories. Now I can add lunch near the M as a fond memory as well.

Later in the day, I was blessed with birthday wishes from my mother-in-law. It's always good to talk to her and yesterday was especially helpful since we were talking about my dad. It's been hard since my mom passed, and I can't always put into words the frustration I feel being so far from my dad. It's hard enough to watch a parent age rapidly, but to do so from a distance is a special hell. My mother-in-law understands that I'm having a rough time without babying me. I appreciate that about her. And I enjoy the wisdom she shares with me as she tells me stories about helping her friend near the end of her life. While we have both lost women we were close to in the past year, I feel the silver lining to that is we have become closer. Loss is a tough thing to conquer.

While on the phone, my husband came home early so we could go to dinner and a movie. Once done talking to his mom, he promptly handed me my present. It's the last photo of the set, a little grasshopper in a plastic bag. No, he did not catch it. Yes, I set it free. He was bicycling home and a friend of our's child was selling grasshoppers with his buddies. So Chris bought one for me. I see this child when I work at the school and he's just the nicest kid. I always look forward to seeing him at lunch. That was just the neatest story. My only concern is I don't want him to grow up smuggling animals into countries. I know he won't. My brain just doesn't work right.

The day was topped off with a yummy meal at Watanabe Restaurant. Very tasty Japanese food. Then we were off to see Transformers 3. I know, I'm not sure what's out that I'd go to instead, but not really my first choice. Problem is last weekend, the bulb burnt out on the projector, so no movie for us. We had to use those replacement tickets they gave us sometime. I really can't complain about a day that just left me feeling like the most blessed woman on the earth.



Cicada

Female Field Cricket
with Damaged Wing

Mating Longhorn Beetles

Unidentified Beetle

Captive Grasshopper

Please know that my opinion is not represented by the following song, but I always loved it, so enjoy!




4 comments:

ellen abbott said...

great pics. love the cicada

Jillsy Girl said...

I love that you know how to appreciate the small things! Cicadas...what can I say. Their chorus of sounds that crescendo repeatedly throughout the summer can be so annoying. I love the hum of crickets but cicadas are an entirely different story. Funny though, you rarely see them.

Jillsy Girl said...

Oops...forgot to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"!!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Ellen - Thank you for the kind comments. I was blown away by the detail on the cicada. I think that's one of my all time favorite shots.

Jillsy - Thank you for the birthday wishes. I don't know how cicadas have escaped my attention so far. Maybe it's because they're more nocturnal. Now I know where to look. I don't hear crickets or cicadas near our house. Growing up in Iowa practically every night in the summer I would fall asleep to the crickets.