Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Sundays in My City - Insects at Kirk Nature Area

Each week Unknown Mami hosts Sundays in My City giving us all a chance to show off the wonderful places we live.

I recently visited Kirk Nature Park and was pleased to find that the wildflowers were in full bloom. In fact, I couldn't believe how many Glacier Lilies adorned the trail. At one point, it looked like both sides of the trail were carpeted with them. This area is very colorful once the flowers bloom. The insects that this park attracts are also quite colorful. I've seen Robber Flies and Snakes Flies out here. This time however, I spotted one unidentified beetle, or as I like to say Little Brown Beetle, and a couple of bumble bees on the hunt for nectar. Still, that was a good sign that spring had come to stay.



Unidentified Beetle

Bumble Bee on Few-Flowered Shooting Star

Bumble Bee Homing in on a Glacier Lily

7 comments:

Unknown Mami said...

I love the beetle on the yellow.

ellen abbott said...

love the bees.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Unknown Mami and Ellen for the kind comments. I'm just so happy to see the insects are back in town. Raining again for a few days, but I'll be back at it on Sunday as the weather clears up.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks for the bug warning but the pics are gorgeous.

I miss Sundays In My City-- For some reason I'm not able to download photos off my camera to my Mac anymore-- But I have an Apple Store appointment tomorrow to hopefully fix the problem.

Happy weekend, jj

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comment Joanna. You're welcome for the warning. I have a friend who follows and isn't very fond of insects which is where I got the idea.

I hope you get your photo problem figured out soon.

arabesque said...

i love your insect series,
they're quite interesting to look at esp. the bees, i'm pretty scared of them actually. ^0^
blame it on bad memories.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comment Arabesque. I can understand being afraid of bees. I'm still not too fond of most things that sting. Until I moved to Salt Lake City, I was afraid of bees, too. The bees there are very mellow. Of course, I have yet to run across killer bees. That would probably set me back a few steps.