Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

You Find the Oddest Things...

but they shouldn't be in your food.

I almost remained innocent of this incident.  My husband and I were discussing whether we could bring back the leftover food we had acquired over spring break.  We didn't go very far and it's still cold enough here for food to hold in the car for a couple of hours.  I was voting to toss it out just to be safe.  I had no idea how close I was to being correct on that one. 

However, my husband's vote to bring it back won.  That's how I came to be munching on tasty leftover food, and chomping down on something hard.  I decided to see why a rock was on the ingredients list for a burrito.  What else could it be?  It was hard.  It was small enough to fit inside the ident of one of my cuspid teeth.  In fact, the mystery item came to a resting spot between the bite of the top cuspid and the bottom matching tooth.  Perfect fit actually.  I could feel the item there, but the force of the bite did not impact either tooth.  In fact, the offending bit of non-food was perfectly trapped between the two teeth making it pretty easy to remove from my mouth and keeping it from getting swallowed.  Darn lucky there.

Thankful I didn't break a tooth, I decided to inspect the offending object.  Imagine my surprise when I removed a piece of metal instead of a stone.  OK.  Now I'm super grateful I didn't swallow it.  At first glance I was wavering between a rivet and a bullet.  Once I cleaned out the food and dirt - yeah - blech, I started to lean towards rivet.  My husband was voting for the part of a bike spoke.  The little bit the spoke fits into that rests inside the rim.  We decided to take it to my husband's work to get the official 411.  That's the perk of your husband being an engineer.  He knows other engineers.  And of course, one of them could be counted on to be an expert when it comes to bits of metal.  The official call - rivet from production machinery.  Great.  Hope that got fixed.

I figure there's no reason to raise a fuss.  We ate at that particular restaurant for breakfast the next day.  Finished the whole meal with no incident.  The food was really good there.  And of course, they can't be responsible for the malfunction of production machinery.  Next time however, I may skip the doggy bag.




6 comments:

Hilary said...

Yikes.. good thing you didn't break a tooth on it. You tell a good story. I was ... riveted. ;)

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks Hilary. I'm glad I didn't break a tooth on it too. Just be glad I don't publish the first draft with all the ums and aws. Now, if I could only learn to talk that smoothly. Then I could be the life of the party:)

forestwalk/laura k said...

*ditto* on Hilary's exclamation. YIKES!
yeah...you are extremely lucky you didn't break a tooth!
hopefully that's the end of the machine parts...or anything else...like a HAIR! ugh! i think that would be way worse!
happy eating.... :]

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - That machine part kind of killed my appetite for eating out for awhile. I'm sure I'll get over it. Can't paint all restaurants with the same brush. And I really don't feel that it was the restaurant's fault.

arabesque said...

and who would've thought that's something from a leftover food?! ^0^

I have my fair share on some "yikes" story when it comes to food,
but never this kind,
glad your teeth was fine though,
definitely an unforgettable story! ^-^

VM Sehy Photography said...

Arabesque - I'm very grateful I didn't break a tooth or swallow that. I shudder when I think about either one of those possibilities. Yeah, it does make a good story. I had my husband's co-workers hanging on my every word. They couldn't believe I found that in my food.