Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Skywatch Friday - Willoughby Environmental Education Area

This week's Skywatch Friday post is a gorgeous scenic shot of the Sapphire Mountains.

While in Missoula, we found ourselves with a bit of extra time on our hands, so we went exploring like we always do. This time our meandering brought us to the Willoughby Environmental Education Area in the Bitterroot National Forest. This particular area has a quick hike through many different types of terrain. I would like to go sometime in the summer. I know that the scrub brush part of it will be covered with grasshoppers. And there may even be a few butterflies. And there's supposed to be Bitterroot flowers which I've never seen.

Even so, I could have sworn once we entered the rocky part near the creek, I saw something flit across the stones. It was gone so quickly. I wasn't sure if it was a lizard or a snake. Either way, I'm bummed that the particular creature had no patience for posing that day.

Lucky for me mountains are more stationery.

Sapphire Mountains



View Larger Map

8 comments:

Unknown Mami said...

Mountains are great at posing for pictures.

pamq said...

Awesome photo!

Montana is such a beautiful state.

And I love your dragonfly banner!!!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Unknown Mami - Fortunately for me mountains do sit still. Although, on the way up, we saw one of those rock slide signs and for once there were actually little chunks of rock in the road. That was a bit unnerving.

Pamq - Montana is a very beautiful state indeed. I'm hoping we can live here awhile since there is so much to explore.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

great shot
love it
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2011/03/the-boy-of-rio-de-janeiro/

Getrealmommy said...

I miss having the mountains in my backyard! Beautiful picture!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Grace.

Getrealmommy - Glad you enjoyed the photo. We never move very far from the mountains. My husband loves to snowboard. I think he would be lost without it.

forestwalk/laura k said...

oooooh....so beautiful! and the name...Sapphire! makes the mountains even MORE inviting...if that's possible!

i miss the mountains...

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura - I can definitely see how these mountains got their name. I have a ton of pictures of them. The color is just so vivid. Grabs your attention and won't let go.