Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nature Scenes from Evergreen Colorado

Here are a few more shots from my trip to Evergreen, Colorado over Christmas vacation. I love to visit this area as there is always something to photograph even in the winter time. This trip we saw a lot of deer and elk.

We came across  a herd of mule deer just feet from the trail that runs between the golf course and my in-laws house. Not an uncommon occurence.




The bull elk with the grand set of horns walked right by me as I was photographing the herd. He was less than six feet from me according to my son. Too bad I didn't notice. As soon as he got acoss the road, he began bugling, calling the herd back into the forest. I got a couple of good shots before they disappeared into the dense tree growth. The elk herds come into my in-laws yard from time to time. This particular time, the herd was grazing on grass on the high school property across the road from my in-laws.
 


While on our walks, we also see a variety of plant life in different stages of existence. The feathery plant below is quite common. The name escapes me at the moment. This plant is a blast to photograph due to the way the sun bounces off of the spines.
 



Finally, I found these frozen pieces of grass trapped within Evergreen Lake quite fascinating.




I hope you have enjoyed my tour of one of my favorite vacation spots.





6 comments:

Jillsy Girl said...

I did enjoy! Great photo op you got there! When we visited my Mom in Florida at Christmas, we were sitting in the kitchen having breakfast and a huge wild boar was trotting right past her pool lanai (in the middle of a sub-division). It was so unexpected.

Love that curly plant!

ellen abbott said...

love the curl of grass.

Barbara Shallue said...

Great shots! I love that curly plant!

Hilary said...

Some beautiful creatures but I love that feathery plant.

forestwalk/laura k said...

looks like a beautiful place to go!! great pictures...both BIG....and small...

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comments everyone.

Jillsy Girl - I've never seen a wild boar. That would be cool unless I was outside, than I'd be a bit scared.

The feathery plants are some of my favorites, too. I think this one is grass if I remember correctly. There's also a tree that grows feathery curly seeds. I think its the Birchleaf Mountain Mahogany. Those seeds are fun to photograph, too.