Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Skywatch Friday - It's a Bird, But What Kind?

This week's Skywatch Friday post consists of a couple of shots a took earlier this winter. While my husband and I were out shopping, I had the good luck to spot this bird flying over a field. I had even better luck when it landed in a tree and waited patiently for me to snap a few shots. The best luck came when I got a good shot of it flying off.

The problem is, I've never been able to properly identify what kind of bird it is. At first I thought it was a falcon, but after careful deliberation and consulting my bird book, I have ruled that out. I am now leaning between an immature Red Shouldered Hawk or an immature Red-Tailed Hawk. If anyone can tell me for sure, that'd be great.

For other wild skies drop by Skywatch Friday.


10 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

These two pictures are absolutely stunning!!!

forestwalk/laura k said...

wow vickie!! GREAT pictures!! i can NEVER get one in flight like that!! amazing!

the feathers do look like the red shouldered hawk we have here...but in your flight picture, the chest doesn't look as 'red' as the ones here...so maybe someone else is know better!

either way...i love these shots!!

ellen abbott said...

well, a hawk, certainly. but I haven't even been able to identify the hawk that lives around here.

Hilary said...

I don't know what it is, but it sure is a beauty! Great captures.

Jillsy Girl said...

OMG!! These are amazing!! I'll ask hubby to take a look since he's into bird watching, but he's watching a movie right now. I'll get back with you!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I wish I were better at bird identification. This one may a bit tougher due to the fact that it's a juvenile. Plus which the coloration on some birds may differ between regions. Hopefully we can solve the mystery.

Rose said...

What absolutely beautiful photos these are. Amazing!

CherylK said...

Those are terrific shots and I can just imagine how excited you were when he landed in the tree. Good job!!

Jillsy Girl said...

Okay...he thinks it's a Northern Goshawk.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comments Rose and Cheryl. I was very excited to spot him and then to have him land and pose so patiently was just icing on the cake.


Jillsy Girl - thank you for the ID.