Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Prompt Me Wednesday - Ties That Bind

Prompt Me! Wednesday is hosted by Jillsy Girl. Drop on by and check it out or better yet join in the fun!

Today's prompt is the following quote by William Blake:

The bird a nest, the spider a web, man friendship.

My immediate thoughts went to ties that bind. The nest binds a bird family together. The web binds the spider's prey. And man forms bonds of friendship in order to accomplish tasks or simply to get through life. Thinking along these lines led me to think of my own family. What holds us together?

Well, tradition is one of those things. Especially the family road trip to visit Grandpa and Grandma for Christmas. During our visits we usually participate in an even more specific tradition that we have as an extended family - a trip to the Denver Zoo. In past years, we have gone at night to see the Denver Zoo Lights, but this year, we decided to go during the day. We were not disappointed. The weather was so nice, most of the animals were outside. At night, during the light festival, we could see giraffes, elephants, hippos and the animals in the aquarium section. Anything that could be housed in a building for the most part. Sure, we've enjoyed these exhibits, but it just isn't the same as seeing them out and about during the day. For one thing, I was able to get decent shots of the giraffes. To top that off, I was really amazed at how many animals the zoo actually houses. We saw monkeys and cranes and zebras and cats and wolves - tons of animals that I didn't even know were there. That's not taking into account, we didn't get through the whole zoo. This was definitely our best visit yet, and I will cherish the memories forever. I'm sure all of my family will as well. Thus creating yet another bond that ties us together.

Grey Crowned Cranes - Denver Zoo













































4 comments:

Jillsy Girl said...

That's a great way to interpret the saying. I wish I had more family traditions, but unfortunately we all live quite a distance from one another which makes it very difficult.

This week's a bit slow on the Blog Hop, maybe the saying was uninteresting or too difficult to come up with posts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the Blog Hop. I've enjoyed it, but maybe it's time to move on to something different.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Nice job with the prompt.

Those cranes are absolutely stunning. What a great shot.

We try to visit the LA Zoo each year-- It's such a fun day and you never know what you'll find.

Cheers, jj

VM Sehy Photography said...

Jillsy - Thanks. I like the interpretation you found, too. We tend to only see that side of the family at Christmas. It's a two day drive to make it back. To get to where I grew up is three days, so I think we'll be doing that in the summer. I really owe a great thank you to my in-laws. They buy my brother-in-law the zoo membership and he always invites everyone down. And it's a lot of fun. The in-laws also take us to the museum when we're there. I definitely married into the right family.

Joanna - Thank you for the kind comment. I was quite excited to see the cranes. I've never seen them in person, and they're quite beautiful. I would love to go to the San Diego zoo someday. I need to sit down with my husband and formulate a plan.

Barbara Shallue said...

Wow, beautiful photos! I didn't visit yours until I finished my own post on the prompt - I love your take on it.