Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sundays In My City - Buck Fest

Sundays in My City is hosted by Unknown Mami. Each sunday she gives everyone a chance to show off where they live. Check it out to see all kinds of cities from around the world. Better yet, sign up and show off your city, too!

When I went to let the cat out, he hesitated a moment, and that's when my eye caught movement going past our back deck. Upon closer inspection, I still couldn't figure out what it was. All I could see was a very large animal with brown fur. My brain went immediately to wolf. I almost grabbed my cat and slammed the door shut before we became food. Once I came to my senses, I realized it was too tall to be a wolf and was probably a deer. I decided to sneak a peek over the railing. To my surprise, it was not the usual does and fawns that we see, but a full grown buck! After grabbing my camera and running through six inches of snow in my surfer socks, I spotted him in my neighbor's yard. That's when I saw the other two that were with him. Definitely a good sunday in my city!


He seemed to be having trouble walking.
Not sure if he was injured or just on slippery ground.


Same shot as above with a closer crop
and some adjustments to the hue / saturation.

9 comments:

Renee said...

some great shots and I agree buck fest for sure and makes for an awesome Sunday City report:)

newmami_rgv said...

Awww... adorable. I have never seen one in person. We saw a horse today! lol. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great holiday.
CJR

Barbara Shallue said...

Great shots! We have deer around here, but the ones near my house are too skittish to capture with my camera. This one looks young!

Anyes said...

What a photograph!Such a nice Sunday in your city post,awesome sharing :-)
Thank you, and Happy Holidays

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

These bucks do look young. I'm hoping the one up top hasn't injured himself. Today when I came home I saw a couple of does in my yard, but they took off before I could take their picture.

Usually, the only way I'm lucky enough to capture them is to go outside my sliding glass door and not close it. With any luck, the boards on our porch don't squeak and I can get a couple of good shots before they take off. They don't like the sound of my camera shutter. I've tried covering the camera with a towel, but it's very awkward and I don't find it cuts the sound enough. That's OK. They live longer if they move on when they hear a clicking sound they don't like.

Unknown Mami said...

He's beautiful!

forestwalk/laura k said...

awesome shots!! with your camera that is!!
and hopefully those are the ONLY kind of shots those bucks will be getting...for a long time!
he looks too young!! what a way to start a sunday!!! how lucky to have those beautiful creatures wander into your yard!! and for you to be so good as to grab your camera and run through the snow...(in socks?...to get these cool pictures!! YEAH!! :]

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Laura for the kind comments. I'm pleased to say that no one in our neighborhood is dumb enough to shoot their gun in a residential area. We've been seeing a lot of bucks down here. They usually don't come around. And they do look young. I don't know what it means. The surf socks do have a rubber sole on them, so it's not quite as inconvenient as I made it sound. They're still not much protection against snow once it gets to be more than 2" thick.

forestwalk/laura k said...

rubber soled socks or not...it was still a quite a feat to get your camera and make it back in time to get those shots!

good for those bucks...to have chosen to enter the residential neighborhood...where they're SAFE!
it's sad to say...but where i live...when we hear that SHOT around dusk or dawn...it makes us sad!

have a great rest of the day! :] laura