Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sundays in My City - Raptor Fest

I'd like to say thank you to Unknown Mami for hosting Sundays in My City which gives us all a chance to show off where we live. Come along on a tour of many different cities from around the world!

Yesterday we had the good fortune to attend Bridger Raptor Fest which is held at the Bridger Ski Resort. I put in a scenic so that you can see the gorgeous landscape we were surrounded by. Not only was this the first year that it was not freezing cold and raining, but it was also the first year we were able to go on the nature hike. It was a wonderful experience and left me feeling in awe of the planet that we live on. I want to go back and hike up the trail in the summer time. We barely started on the hike when we had to turn around. I'd say we probably went a couple of miles, but the trail goes on into the forest, and I'm curious to see what kind of creatures inhabit it.

The middle photos are some of the raptors that the Montana Raptor Conservation Center brings along. They have them for display during the festival. They also do talks and bring along birds for those as well. Mainly its a way to educate the public about how some of the birds end up injured or come to be rescued. How they live in the wild. What kind of bird is which. What they eat. It's really cool. And the kids always have a blast.

Along with the Conservation Center, other organizations have exhibits there as well. Montana Outdoor Science School, Yellowstone Park, Museum of the Rockies. So it's definitely a must do event for those of us who love the outdoors and like to learn about nature.

Then there was the icing on the cake. On the way home, we saw a Bald Eagle perched on a telephone pole. We pulled into someone's driveway, and I went along the ditch to get a closer shot. No such luck. I got distracted by the meal it was eyeing. I scared it off with my loud shutter click. Next time I'll remember, live animal first, dead animal second.


Bridger Mountain Range

Red-Tailed Hawk: Looks like he's reminiscing about flying.

Great Horned Owl

Turkey Vulture

Golden Eagle Silhouette

Perched Bald Eagle Eyeing a Meal

Could this be the meal in question?


View Larger Map

7 comments:

Sonya said...

Beautiful photos!!!!

Unknown Mami said...

These photos are stunning and I love you posting them in a larger size.

Ben and Carrie Tracks said...

Raptors are such amazing creators are they not? So cunning...

Thanks for the lovely comments on our wildlife biologist blog and always a pleasure to check in on the adventures in your neck of the woods :)

forestwalk/laura k said...

love your pictures!
the hawk...owl...and esp the eagle atop the electric pole!!!!

OH...and the pile of...uh...bones...looks like it was already someone's meal...not too much meat left...probably food for the bugs now...! :]

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura, I have to agree. In fact, I couldn't tell that anything was left. So I think even the insects were done with this particular set of remains.

If this follows the same pattern as the deer I once photographed, the bones are about to be scattered to the four winds. I assume by an animal of some sort. I wonder if some scavengers eat bone marrow.

forestwalk/laura k said...

oh no...i THINK i closed the window before i clicked on "post comment'...so here i go again... :]

yeah, those bones will get dragged every which way!! and maybe not just for the marrow...i think many animals just like to GNAW!!

i have a cow skull leaning against a tree in one of my gardens...and the top of it is really chewed up from the SQUIRRELS!!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Laura, no worries. You posted twice so I just deleted the first comment. Hope you don't mind.