Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sundays in My City - I Admit It, I'm a Chicken

First off, a shout out to Unknown Mami and her meme Sundays in My City. Check it out to go visit all kinds of cool places around the world.

I would like to think that I put the wild into wildlife photography, but I'm afraid today I am going to have to admit I have a somewhat inflated image of myself. For instance, the photo of the bear below was indeed taken in Yellowstone National Park: with about 200 other people around, from a paved road that was about 20-25 feet away from the bear, with a ranger clapping at it so it wouldn't come any closer. Not exactly hiking into the back country / dropping my pack to slow the bear down type of image I like to build up. Still, it is a cool shot especially since the ranger said bears are hardly seen in Yellowstone anymore.

That's because they're in our neighborhood. Oh, yeah. That's right. See the photo of the trash below. That's the second time this week the darn bear has spread trash all over our lawn. And are we bright enough to put the trashcan in the garage? No. In fact, I'll admit it, I'm not even brave enough to go out and sit in the car at 9 o'clock at night waiting for Mr. Trashcan tipper. Nope. Not even will all that metal around me will I be out to get a shot of this bear. (He is a black bear like the one in Yellowstone. One of neighbors has a video of this bear digging through his trash. He wants to keep it private, so I can't share the link.) However, my husband, bless his soul, came up with the most brialliant idea. He thought we could get a webcam and set up an infrared beam and videotape the bear when he trips the beam. So now we're trying to decide if we should go into hock for this camera. Eat for a month or buy a camera. See what tough decisions I'm left with in these hard times.

12 comments:

VM Sehy Photography said...

Before anyone starts to worry, things are not quite that bad around here, and I am very grateful for that. We have a business budget so it comes down to a new web camera vs. a new scanner. And we'd have to save awhile before we could purchase either item. So I did not mean to be insensitive with that last comment. And again, I'm very grateful that it's going that well right now.

gaelikaa said...

Hello, I'm from Ireland, living now in India. An office colleague of mine in Ireland, a widower, went to visit his daughter living in the United States. Her husband owned a bar and this guy loved sitting in the bar of an evening drinking and enjoying the company of the locals. But he also loved to go up to the mountains and spend a couple of days alone in his daughter and son-in-law's log cabin. Once, when his son-in-law collected him after spending the weekend in the cabin, my friend was horrified, as they drove away, to see a large bear appear and up-end the neighbours trash can (bin). He never went back there again!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Being in Montana, they have all kinds of material to show folks what a bear can do. How fast it can run. How quickly it climbs a tree. In fact down in West Yellowstone at the Wolf and Bear Discovery Center, they use their bears to test bear proof trash bins. Yeah, one look at what bears can do to metal is enough to give anyone healthy respect for those animals. I don't blame him for not wanting to go back to the cabin. Scary enough when it's the trashcan worse yet, some bears break into houses.

Leslie Limon said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to get so close to the bear for a pic. I used to go camping with my grandparents in the Southern California mountains. There were so many times that we had bears visiting our campsite late at night. As the years passed, the bears started visiting during the day. I will never forget the day that my grandfather sat nose-to-nose with a very large brown bear. SCARY!!!

Stopping by from Sundays in my City. :)

Hilary said...

Oh do be careful. I would be very uneasy with children and pets in the neighbourhood. The worst I've had break into my house (via the bedroom ceiling) was a raccoon. A bear would be incredibly scary. And I hear they have horrendous breath. Gorgeous critters though.

VM Sehy Photography said...

I'm thinking we probably should move our trash into the garage. Need to make some room first. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

VM Sehy Photography said...

That's kind of what's scary about this bear. Much like the bear your grandfather met, Leslie, this one doesn't seem to mind humans. When our neighbor took the video, he had just pulled up in his truck. That didn't scare the bear off. The bear just kept rummaging through the trash as our neighbor kept the truck's headlights on him. He'd grab something then drag it behind a shed. Did that about 3 times before he ran off. So probably need to call the contact person our neighbor mentioned in their email. I hate to see the bear get put down or worse. I guess if it eats a pet or attacks a human, it'll definitely get put down, so perhaps a little intervention before it gets that bad isn't such an awful idea.

Unknown Mami said...

I'm very happy that you are not crazy enough to go out and photograph the bear. If you go into hock for the camera and don't eat then the bear won't come because there won't be any food in the garbage.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Unknown Mami for putting a smile on my face with your perfect sense of logic.

Kebeni said...

beautiful bear, if somewhat naughty

Tiffany said...

so, i think you just said you have bears. in your lawn. like, at your house. i'd probably poo on myself with fear every time i left the house.

VM Sehy Photography said...

I can certainly understand your reaction Tiffany. Fortunately, he only comes at night while we're all in the house. However, I finally wised up and put my trash can into the garage. I don't want anyone getting hurt, and it's becoming a possibility. See, my friend's husband encountered this bear while walking on the trail by our house a couple of nights ago. I'd definitely be needing some new underwear after that.