Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Paper, Dam, Rock: Rock Crushes Dam

About three weeks ago a boulder the size of a school bus fell onto the Madison Dam near Ennis Lake. Now most sane people would say cool, but I think I'll stay out of a canyon that's dropping boulders the size of school buses. You know. So I don't end up finding out what it's like to be in a car that's been thrown into the junk yard crushing machine.

However, I gave up any semblance of sanity and apparently sense a long time ago. So shortly thereafter, we headed up the canyon to check out the damage for ourselves. (In case anyone is really worried, I had heard on the radio that the road by the dam had been opened back up to traffic and the engineers believed the remaining rockcliff to be stable.)

All I can say is I wish I'd known about this area before the boulder gave the dam a knock down because it has to be one of the most beautiful places I've seen around here.

(To check out the damage in greater detail, click on the photos to enlarge them.)



4 comments:

Hilary said...

That is rather cool actually.. as long as nobody was hurt.

VM Sehy Photography said...

It fell off at 3 in the morning, so no one was around to be hurt. Pretty good timing on the rock's part.

Linda said...

You've obviously got the photo blog bug badly! Glad you have - these are stunning photos.

And good to discover your blog. Montana is one of the US states I'd love to visit.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comment Linda. I do try to stay safe, but I love to get out to places that other people may not have seen or heard of. If you get a chance, you should come to Montana. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived.