Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday in My City - Never Ending Yardwork

My post for Sunday in My City has been brought to you courtesy of scale. Yes, I thought we had beaten it last year when I helped trim back my neighbor's hedges and sprayed them this spring. Apparently it's not that easy. Like a horror movie villain, scale has reared it's ugly head on the other side of our lawn. Yup, infected a fruit tree. So I spent today cutting it back. Next week, I will be clipping the tree all the way to the ground. With a couple of sprayings, perhaps it will be the last we see of this villain. Think Halloween 20, oh, wait, then Rob Zombie did the remakes. Hum. Hopefully, fiction will be stranger than life.

Please drop by Unknown Mami's blog and check out more cities from around the world.

Clippings

Scale

Interesting Branch Pattern

Inchworm

4 comments:

BLOGitse said...

Great shots!
Even worms look bigger than life when shot like this :)
Sunny SIMC greetings from Casablanca!

BLOGitse

qandlequeen said...

yikes! That's a whole lot of work. Hopefully it's not something that will spread to other trees.

Unknown Mami said...

Oh no! I hope you are victorious.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the comments.

Scale is actually an insect. And it will spread if it's not taken care of quickly. However, I think they only move around once a season. Then they grow this hard shell and settle in to eat trees. Also, our neighbors just cut their hedges to the ground, so there's nowhere for these things to go. I figure if I get this tree clipped back before fall, it'll probably be fine. I'll spray as soon as I can just to be safe.