Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Lewis and Clark Caverns, Montana

Welcome to Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park. Where you don't have to wipe your feet to enter a cave. That was a fun experience my friend, Gucci Mama, had (not) out in California. Apparently in Montana, the tour guides are reasonable and knowledgeable.

And it is because our particular tour guide did such a good job, that I quite enjoyed the tour. Even the walk up to the caverns was wonderful, though it is steep, and it was hot. Not even my fear of heights spoiled the day. The path up is wide and the view so breathtaking there was no time to be afraid.

While the tour is two hours long, it is well worth it. The spectacular views don't stop once you enter the cave. And on a day like today, I was grateful to be out of the heat. The cave is 50 degrees all year long. The highlight of the tour was seeing bats fly around. Just one at a time, but each time the little critter would come within inches of us. I would see this brown blur come zipping by, so I didn't even bother to try and capture it. Sometimes you have to settle for memories and just take in the moment. For memories that I managed to capture more permanently, check out the photos below.

These are some plant fossils that are in the rocks on the way up.



View of the Jefferson River and the Tobacco Root Mountain Range



Columns in the Cathdral Room.



Chocolate Waterfall



Paradise Room



Visit Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park!

3 comments:

T and S said...

That landscape shot is cool...Thomas

Hilary said...

Wow .. beautiful. Sounds like a great way to spend the day.. and a nice way to cool off in the cave.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you for the kind comments.

I'm so glad I went. It's been on my list for a very long time. And the scenery is just awesome. And to see a bat fly right before my face will be a treasured memory. The other trip that compares from this week of freedom was my visit to Grotto Falls. I'm definitely hoping to get farther up the Hyalite Peak Trail and see more of the waterfalls in that area.