Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Imposters

My rose bush was abuzz today literally. However, upon close inspection, I noticed not only the honey bees themselves, but a couple of imposters. The first bee mimic is a Hairy Scarab Beetle. This one is bit darker in color, so I did not immediately think he was a bee. Also because I've seen these before, I wasn't caught off guard this time. The second bee imposter is a Toxomerus Hover Fly. He's very tiny. The third photo is a good one for scale as I lucked out and got them both together on the same flower. Finally, I included a photograph of one of the honey bees that was also partaking of the pollen. That way you can see how each insect mimics the original version.

3 comments:

jillsy said...

That second shot is amazing! Great capture!

Unknown Mami said...

I'm not into bugs, but those are some AMAZING shots.

Today we went for a drive and stopped in one spot where the car was swarmed by some really odd looking flies.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you both for the kind comments.

I know right now we have a lot of stone flies around. They're about 1/2" long and very slender. Maybe that's what the swarm was. They swarm our trampoline this time of year for some odd reason. I thought the darn things were termites at first. Whew!