Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Freedom Day 4 - Prairie Dog Town

Today I went to Greycliff Prairie Dog Town State Park to celebrate Freedom Day 4. This is a slice of land along I-90 near Big Timber, Montana, that has been set aside as a nature preserve for these prairie dogs. Technically, for the prairie ecosystem as a whole.

I had to use my zoom lens as there are no paths out on the town otherwise you'd be smushing their homes. They are very cute. (I think so.) And in no way have they become tame. Everywhere I went I was greeted with the high pitched warning calls.

Not wanting to disturb them too much, I only stayed for about 20 minutes. However, I was presented with many photo ops. I'm particularly fond of the last one. The presence of affection between these animals touched me.

You can read more about their behavior and social structure here: Texas Parks and Wildlife: Prairie Dogs



View Larger Map

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Awww what sweet little critters.