Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

An Unexpected Guest

A couple of weeks ago while hiking on the Triple Tree Trail and avoiding mountain lions, I had the opportunity to photograph some different life stages in the insect world.  I also had an unexpected guest, possibly a fly, on some flowers that caught my eye.

First is the larval stage of the mosquito.  If it's possible, they look much scarier in this form.  Like some sort of cross between a hook worm and some sort of alien life form.

The second photo is what appears to be a dead spider.  I'm pretty sure it's not.  Near him I found the blue wasp in third photo.  This leads me to believe that the spider is merely paralyzed.  He should have been a host for mama wasp's eggs.  I think I interrupted the process though as she flew off and began running along the ground again.  This would indicate she's begun the process of looking for a host all over again. 

The last photo is my unexpected guest.  Can't indentify him.  Hoping he's a bit less ferocious then the rest of the subjects I shot (or heard) that day.



2 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

Fooled me-- I thought that first picture was of jewelry!

Nice work,
jj

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks Joanna. The only reason I survived photographing these creatures is I found it very intersting how the sunlight sparkled off their feet? Tentacles? I can't think about it too long. I do ok with most creepy crawlies but some larvae and most centipedes / milipedes still manage to give me the heebee jeebies.