Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sundays in My City - Our Road Trip Adventure

Unknown Mami has an awesome feature called Sundays in My City.This is my contriubtion. Please drop by and check out other cities around the world.

Today we decided to go on an adventure or a wild goose chase depending upon your point of view. We were trying to find the Parker Homestead, but our map wasn't much help. I have directions written down now, so I will try later and hope to blog about it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, we had quite the adventure driving around the back roads near Willow Creek Montana. We took a bit of a loop starting out from Bozeman, headed towards Three Forks on the 287, but we had to wrap around from Willow Creek and then head back. No luck with the homestead, so we eventually hooked up to the 84 and back to Bozeman.

Along the way we found these abanonded structures on the edge of Willow Creek. There's a house on the property, too. It looks pretty rough, but is a bit newer in terms of disintegration. My husband wondered if it had been part of a mine due to the very tight chicken wire blocking off the entrances of the second building pictured here. We both found it interesting that the building in the first photo had snapped in half.

While we were on our way back to a paved road, we startled this Red-Tailed Hawk or he happened to take off at that moment, hard to say. However, if you look really close you'll see it has a very tasty mouse meal.

6 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

Yep, that hawk got him!
We have two red tailed hawks the soar over our yard. They're beautiful
Happy SIMC,
jj

MACsWIFERia said...

wow...those pictures are awesome and i enjoyed reading about your simc.
im especially fond of the last photo. stopping by from simc through unknown mami.
http://hollomaninourheart.blogspot.com/

May said...

The picture of the hawk taking off, it's amazing!!! He sure is carrying dinner!!

qandlequeen said...

One of the reasons I want to carry a camera around in my purse is to snap those random shots, like old barns. I love old barns. And trees. There is nothing like a tree, just by itself in the middle of a field, minding its own business. Not like I get out of the city very much, but when I do, these are the things that amuse me. Thank you for taking me out of the city for a few minutes!

Unknown Mami said...

This might be my favorite SIMC post of yours to date. Love the photos.

VM Sehy Photography said...

I would like to thank you all for the kind comments. Yesterday was just one of those days that worked really well for grabbing the camera and snapping quick.

I once told a family friend who's a professional photographer that has been published in Time and Newsweek that a particular photo I had shot of two bees on a daisy was just luck. He said never say that again. First of all, you had your camera with you to begin with. Second, you were in the right place at the right time. Third, you had the foresight to take the shot regardless of how you thought it would turn out. Hum. As my husband is fond of saying, luck favors the prepared mind. I second that, having lived it yesterday.