Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sundays in My City - A Tribute to Mom

First off a Happy Mother's Day to Unknown Mami who hosts Sundays in My City.

Today, I wanted to say thank you to my mom as well, so I put a little twist on the post and used a photo she took of me when I was small.  This was taken when I was three years old (1969) after a large snow storm had hit my hometown of Charles City, Iowa.  It's one of my favorite shots due to the scale of the snowdrift and the height of myself and then you get a third layer with the cat at my feet.  My mom will always tell you she's not so good with the camera, but I think this shot is pretty brilliant.  Too bad I wasn't such a cooperative subject, I slightly remember being grumpy about the whole affair. 

Well hopefully, Mom, this tribute to the woman behind the camera will make up for that afternoon.  Love you!


I’d like to take a moment and thank my Mom. She’s the reason there are so many photos of me as a child. Me, me with the cat and especially me with my Dad. And since she’s the one behind the camera most of the time, there aren’t as many pictures of us together when I was younger. A trend that carried on once I had my son. So here’s a big Happy Mother’s Day to my Mom and all the other Moms out there who are present, not so much in the print left behind, but in the fact that it exists at all.

12 comments:

May said...

A very nice pic & a touching post!! You are so right about having very few pics of us mommy's with our kids as we are always with the cam!!!! Happy Mother's day to you & your mom!!!!

Sonya said...

Wonderful post and love that picture!!!

Lee Ann said...

Ooh I love that photo! mum's sure are special. Happy mother's day to you xx

Prairiemaid said...

Sweet picture of you and the cat!

Hope you had a lovely Mothers' Day.

I am now following you.;)

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. Hope all the moms out there had a wonderful Mother's Day as well.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Awww, that is so sweet. Happy Mother's Day to you both!
Cheers,
jj

Erin said...

What an adorable pic! And to get the cat in the snow like that!

I don't have many pics of me with my mom either when I was small.

Hilary said...

What a sweet tribute to your Mom... and an adorable photo of you. :)

Unknown Mami said...

This picture is fantastic and you in that outfit are too cute!

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you Hilary, Unknown Mami, Erin and JoAnna for the compliments on the photo and the post.

I think part of why I was so grumpy with my Mom that day was she got me all dressed up. Always been a bit of a tomboy. It's too bad that sometimes we can't see into the future and realize what a neat memento the photo will make. I often find myself wishing I'd been a bit more cooperative that day, but then hind sight is 20/20:)

deb said...

congrats on the POTW for your caterpillar post.
I was just scrolling through a bit, and love this picture and the sentiment.
And I was born in '63 as well .

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks Deb for the kind comments. I was quite excited about the award. It's nice to be recognized especially since insects aren't everyone's favorite subject.