Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Skywatch Friday - Tripple Tree Trail

Tripple Tree Trail is a very beautiful hike through foothills and a forest. While the view is breathtaking at times, it is not the only thing worth watching out for. This trail sees all kinds of wildlife throughout the year. It's calving grounds for elk and deer. It attacts bears in the fall due to a concentration of berries they eat to store fat for hibernation. And then there's my favorite: mountain lions.

Mind you, I've heard a mountain lion while hiking twice now. Once in Leverich Canyon. Now, once in this canyon. No, I don't have pictures. Being a lone hiker, in both cases, I hightailed it out of there. In fact, this time, I was fortunate to share some of the down route with a family that was out hiking. The claim is your chances for being seen as a meal are less if you are in a large group. So a big thank you to them!

Check out some possibly less dangerous skies from around the world at: Skywatch Friday.

3 comments:

T and S said...

Nice landscape compositions

Hilary said...

Pretty puffy clouds. I would have loved to have seen a mountain lion.. from a distance.. with a zoom lens. ;)

VM Sehy Photography said...

All I have to do is hear the mountain lion, and I am down that hill. There's something about that low guttural growl coming out of nowhere. I could have sworn it was coming from up the hill and ahead on the path. The people I talked to said it was on the other side of the path, across the river and back aways. I don't like not knowing where they're at until they're way too close. I guess it was about 13 feet from them, and they said it was a full grown cat. I too would love to have a photo, but preferably from a blind with a good range of vision so I could see where it came from and where it went.