Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Metamorphosis

I'd like to say thank you to Hilary over at The Smitten Image for giving me this Post of the Week Award.  Check out the award winning photography below.  And go by Hilary's blog as well for some more awesome photography.


One of the teachers I work for is currently on the butterfly section of science. She was gracious enough to let me take a few shots. I also got to help set up the butterfly habitat and tape the chysalises to the top of it. Some days I can't believe they pay me to do my job! So without farther ado, I present the lifecycle of the painted lady butterfly. Well, part of it anyway.


J-Formation:  The caterpillar goes into this shape just before shedding it's skin and going into the chrysalis form.  I thought it was dead.  I always think insects are dead in their pupal or pre-pupal form.  I learn a lot on my job.
Here the caterpillar is in the middle of transforming into the chrysalis stage. I was working away and I look up 20 minutes later, and he's half done. So obviously, he's not dead. That was cool because I've never seen a caterpillar change over before.


This is a fully formed chysalis. The more I look at it, the more I can see the caterpillar that once was and some attributes of the butterfly that will be. Very cool.

11 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh these are wonderful photos.. what a thrill to be able to witness and photograph this process. Thank you so much for sharing it.

VM Sehy Photography said...

I am truly blessed to be working at the school. The teachers are really awesome. And noone minds if I take a few moments to photograph some of our science projects.

LadyFi said...

Fabulous to see such a transformation before your very eyes!

ellen abbott said...

I watched a monarch caterpillar transform into it's chrysalis. took less than 15 minutes. I'm amazed by that.

Cricket said...

Wow. Great close-up shots. Congratulations on the potw. Hope you get some of the end result.

Land of shimp said...

It is a fascinating and intricate world, isn't it? We are surrounded by complexity, at all times.

Anyway, wonderful post, and congratulations on the post of the week mention over at Hilary's blog.

Do you know, I was particularly touched that you warned of insects to come :-) I don't have any phobias, but I try to be gentle to people who do, and it was lovely to see that someone else approached that with an eye towards "Don't keep reading if bugs freak you out! I don't want to alarm, or unnerve you!"

Have a great day, filled with awe-inspiring complexity :-)

VM Sehy Photography said...

First off, I'd like to thank you Hilary for the award. If you can't tell, I'm excited. Whenever, I tell people what I photograph, I get something between screams and oh isn't that nice. So it's cool to be recognized.

Lady Fi - It was a totally awesome experience. It will stand out as one of those pivotal moments. And to be honest, my chances for spotting such an event in nature are slim. I think I stay on the trail too well.

Ellen - I can believe how quickly that Monarch transformed. I talked to my teacher the next day and she said when they got back from art, the caterpillar was still transforming. So it took awhile.

Cricket - I did get a photo of one of the butterflies this afternoon. I'll put it up in a couple of days. So one down and about five to go.

Land of Shimp - the warning is for one of my friends who is brave enough to follow my blog despite the fact that she really dislikes insects - intensely. I thought if she's a brave enough woman to follow my blog, it's only decent of me to be considerate and post a warning banner. While insects are my favorite subject, I often photograph other things. Anything with detail is interesting to me, and I like to share it with my friends and family.

And thank you to everyone for the congratulatory remarks and the kind commments.

Renee said...

great photos and congrads on your first blog award:) I had a good laugh about your warning label for people like "A".

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thanks Renee. I actually put the warning up for Gucci Mama since she's brave enough to follow me. Maybe I should tell A. about the warning label.

Oh, and I think the one that fell hatched, but he got stuck in the goop that comes out of his chrysalis, so he's laying on his side unable to move cause it dried and he's stuck. So one wing is fine. The other is a mess, I think. I'll ask my teacher if I can try and free him tomorrow. I'm hoping I can mist the wing then mop up the liquid until the wing can comes free. Not sure it will work, and I might drown it. I'll see what she says. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Just call me the Butterfly Whisperer - Ha! Ha!

Brian Miller said...

these really are fascinating shots...love my nature.

congrats on the POTW!

Midlife Jobhunter said...

I love butterflies. Always hard for me to remember where they begin. Incredible process.