Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our Colorful Easter

I'm a bit behind in my blogging as of late. These are this years' Easter eggs. We tried something a bit different this time. Inspired by the medium my son had used in art on Friday, I decided to see how it would work with eggs.

So we mixed up some karo syrup and food coloring and painted the eggs. I liked the finished product. It looks varnished. Problem is it didn't really dry, dry. It ends up being a bit tacky. That might be solved by playing with the ratio of syrup and coloring. It did clean up nicely. The other thing I enjoyed about it was the way the coloring interacts with the syrup to form interesting patterns. (See my post, Drops of Color.) Then my husband added powdered sugar to the mix which made it sparkly. That was pretty cool. You can see that effect in the blue drop on the bottom egg.

Well, enjoy and Happy Belated Easter!

3 comments:

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a great way to color eggs! I'm going to try it this way next time. They look GREAT.

Cheers,
jj

Unknown Mami said...

Wow, that's pretty cool egg art.

VM Sehy Photography said...

Thank you both for the kind comments. I just learned today that you can wrap raw eggs in onion skins then wrap several of those into a towel, boil them and they take on the color of the skins. I think I'll try that next year if I can be that patient.