Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Flattery

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery in which case this bee should feel very flattered. To the right of her (Apparently female worker bees carry the pollen baskets on their legs. Cool.) is a mimic. He / she is a hairy scarab beetle. It took me a moment to realize, that isn't a bee. The same moment it took him to fly off after I got a quick shot. Fortunately, I found him again. (I wasn't about to give up.) Double fortunately, a bee landed next to him which works out well for comparison shots.

Below you can see a really excellent close up of him. Including some detail near the mouth parts. If you saw him for five seconds, and he flew off really fast, it'd be really easy to think he is a bee. Especially with 30 or 40 of them flying around the roses at once. I imagine this desguise works quite well.


No comments: