Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

The Things We Don't See

Well this is my out and about for last week. I went up to History Rock Trailhead in Hyalite Canyon. I tried to get to the top. I came up short by .5 miles. Sigh. I did see the rock and I got a gorgeous view of the mountain range opposite at the top, but I could not keep hiking through 2 to 3 foot deep snow in my jeans and my boots. That was a soggy mess. Also as the trail goes higher, it gets more mountain goat like, so I didn't feel it was safe for me to continue on.

I found some interesting things along the way though, so it was well worth the effort. Not sure what the little guy above is. He's some sort of fly or maybe plant bug. Saw him while looking at some flowers.

The photos below are the cool ones. I didn't even know there was an ant in these flowers when I took the shot. Pretty awesome. And I didn't think the bee shot turned out at all. Not only did it come through brilliantly, I got a bonus insect to boot.





Overall a very productive trip despite the fact that I had every kind of possible stinging insect on my trail all day long. At first I thought it was the fact that I had left my shampoo in our bathroom so I borrowed my son's Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo that morning, but then I realized the ugly truth. The night before I had been photographing some ground cover out by the college duck pond and had managed to knock some pollen into the seams of my camera bag. Yeah. Good stuff apparently. Unbeknownst to me I had become the "candy woman". Only one thing landed, and it looked like a fly mimic of a hornet. Too surprised to capture it. Another cool thing I saw was a moth mimic of a bee. Again too slow. Darn it. Perhaps next time.

No comments: