Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

One Doesn't Belong

Well, technically, it would depend upon what category you would be using. The two insect shots were taken when I got home from my hiking trip. The above photo is a Golden Northern Bumble Bee. They always look so cute and fuzzy. Fortunately, I've never forgotten and tried to pet one. If you look really close, you can see his proboscis. That would be the pink three forked apparatus he's brushing the tops of the flowers with. I didn't know that particular body part could split out, but apparently it's made of three different body parts altogether. Every once in awhile it'd stop and brush the proboscis with its front legs. Don't know if this was to clean off the proboscis or if some of the pollen tastes bad. Who can say?



This is the Old Gallatin City Hotel. It's all that's left of a town called Gallatin City II. The area is currently encompassed by the Missouri Headwaters State Park. I love old abandoned buildings. My husband would like to get a jeep someday so we can go up the jeep trails. I'm all for it if there's a ghost town or two along the way. Below is link with a bit of history about this particular area.
http://www.montanahistory.net/stateparks/missouriheadwatershistory.htm


This is a plant bug as far as I can tell. Not sure what kind. His markings are very intricate and well designed for his habitat.


No comments: