Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

To Camouflage or Not to Camoflage - That is the Question


I went out to Missouri Headwaters State Park on a field trip the other day and decided to return on my own to see what I could find. Something found me first. The little guy above is a stone fly and is resting on the brim of my hat. I noticed this big blotch out of the corner of my eye and then I realized it was running around. It was kind enough to stick around for a brief photo session.

Below is another stone fly if you can find him. I believe it may be a Golden Stone Fly, but I wouldn't make a serious bet on it. This guy was a little harder to find. I saw something swoosh by and land in the space of a nano second. Which meant I had to look on the ground to find the exact spot and the exact insect. I know I'm good, but really. Consider that I don't know what I'm looking for. It blends right into the grass. And it is is about half an inch long, an eighth of an inch wide and an eighth of an inch, maybe, tall. I was thrilled when I found it. And yes, I have killer peripheral vision.


No comments: